Tuesday, September 18, 2012

King Arthur's Brioche

This, my friends, is the bread recipe of all bread recipes. I have a bread machine and have been experimenting with it for the past year, but ever since I came across this recipe, I haven't found the need to try anything else. This is the one.

I wanted to bring a loaf in to work the other day, and panicked when I was baking it and double checked the bake time online, only the King Arthur website was down. The bread still came out fine but I'm posting the recipe now to archive/cherish (if King Arthur and blogger both go down then I would be screwed). If I've made this for you and you are now gasping at the sheer amount of butter and egg that it contains...sorry, I never said it was healthy.

Brioche
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients
2 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon instant yeast
4 large eggs (separate the egg and yolk from one)
10 tablespoons butter

Directions
Plop all the ingredients into the bread machine, minus the separated egg white, and turn it onto the dough cycle (two knead/rise cycles). You can then bake it, either in the bread machine which will give you uglier bread, or braid/shape it into a prettier loaf. To shape, you would need to punch it down after the second rise and chill overnight so that the dough is more compliant. Glaze the top with egg white when done shaping and bake at 400F for 10 minutes followed by 350F for 35-40 minutes for one large loaf (reduce to about 30-35 if doing 2 smaller loaves, or 20-25 for dinner rolls).

Photocred to Ming again!

No comments:

Post a Comment